Saturday, April 20, 2013

Week 1 - Post 1

My head is already spinning after just watching the introduction video and upon completing the two required readings. Perhaps the YouTube clip is what made me dizzy. 

I have seen that clip a few times, and yet every time I watch it I experience an uneasy somewhat dreadful feeling.  Being somebody who wants to at the very least be knowledgeable of what is going on around them, I watch a video clip like that and immediately feel that my efforts are futile.  That the only thing certain about the future is exponential change.  Wow! This alone makes it difficult to keep pace. 

Knowing that, I immediately wonder what media will last and which will fail?  In other words, which might be a good use of my time and energy to use and collaborate in, and which will ultimately disappear?  Or should that even matter?  And then I begin to wonder, which are the outlets that would resonate most with me?  And how do I find them in what feels to be a turbulent sea of information? 

It almost kind of reminds me of how I channel surf -- I don't even really know what I'm looking for amidst the hundreds of channels being thrown at me.  But then again, in this digital age, I might be having to go find it rather than remaining passive and just consuming things as they come.  And then finally I wonder if I will need to retrain myself to consume any of the particular technologies.  The thought is admittedly a bit of a turnoff.  So then, what is the point of all of this?

The point is exactly what I opted to take this clinic.  I want to learn more about the rapid pace of change in technology and in particular how successful companies are using it to their competitive advantage.  Rather than shy away from it, I want to tackle it head on and leverage whatever it is that I can.  And this despite the very fact that the volume and change of technology feels overwhelming. 

I plan on reviewing some of the other interesting readings and videos before attempting to put it all together for Week 1, but after completing the aforementioned activities and reviewing the schedule of assignments, this course has already taken me out of my comfort zone.  Consider the wakeup call received!  I definitely look forward to the weeks ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment